Monday, June 1, 2009

BANANA NUT BREAD


Rachel is the host for Mouth Watering Mondays. Go check out all the other folks that have great recipes to share, Yummy!



This is a recipe I got from Paula Dean's book "Kitchen Classics". This book has lots of great recipes in it. I've tried several of them. This one is delicious!! Although at the time I didn't have any buttermilk. So went looking on the internet for substitutes and found this place called Recipe Zaar they had a great one. This is how you can substitute buttermilk: 1 Cup of Milk, 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Combine ingredients and let stand 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, mix together well and use as buttermilk in any recipe!



BANANA NUT BREAD

½ C. Shortening
½ teaspoon Baking Soda
1 C. Sugar
2 Eggs
2 C. Flour
3 Bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon Salt
1/3 C. Buttermilk
2 teaspoon Baking Powder
½ C. Chopped Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and sugar. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and add to creamed mixture. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into a well-greased loaf pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. OH my gosh, my kids will tell you : What's mom's favorite flavoring, for candy or muffins or ice cream or ANYthing....?? BANANA!

    However, I seem to fail at actual banana bread, I always make muffins so they cook in the middle!? I don't know what my problem is??

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm....i have a few rotten, er ripe bananas that need to be used! Looks like easy deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love Banana Bread - I'm not a baker but that is one thing I keep trying to perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I'm a big believer in dried buttermilk in th cupboard for those times when you don't have the real thing on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!