Friday, January 7, 2011

CABBAGE ROLLS RECIPE

Yesterday someone asked me about the recipe for Cabbage Rolls. So I guess I'm going to try and do this. This is mostly a recipe that is just thrown together. I make it from memory. My mom made these all the time when I was a kid. It's a cheap dinner and easy to put together. When your feeding 5 kids and 2 adults like my mom it was a must. So here goes.



INGREDIENTS

1-2 lbs ground beef
uncooked rice
2-3 eggs
Head of Cabbage
3 15oz. cans Tomato Sauce
Water
Salt and Pepper

PREPARATION
Soak a medium head of cabbage in hot water. I usually fill up my sink with hot water and let the cabbage head soak for about an hour, turning it once in a while. Once the cabbage is soaked pull off the leaves individually. Lay aside.

In a large bowl mix ground beef, uncooked rice, and eggs. I mix it until it's nice and firm like a meatloaf.

Take a handful of the mixture and place in one cabbage leaf. Roll and place in large pan.

Add tomato sauce and about 4 to 6 cans of water. Add salt and pepper as desired. Bring to a hard boil and then turn heat down to simmer. Cook until cabbage is done.

I usually serve fried potatoes and cornbread with this. Hope this all makes sense to you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Sherrie! That was so easy and sounds yummy! But I avoid red meat so I'll try to do it with ground chicken and see if it works!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!