Friday, June 12, 2009

STRAWBERRY SALAD


Foodie Friday is going on over at Gollum's place, Designs by Gollum. Got a great recipe to share, need one for supper, or just looking around? Hop over to Gollum's place and check out all the great recipes. This also my first posting for Foodie Friday!

This is a recipe my mom had in her personal recipe book. I got this book when she passed away. It was falling apart, the pages were turning brown, and some of the pages were falling out. I have since then turned this into a scrapbook. All mom's recipes, clippings, little booklets and everything else she had in there are preserved in this scrapbook.




This is one of the recipes that was in her recipe book. I tried it and it turned out really good. But I can't for the life of me figure out why it's called strawberry salad!




STRAWBERRY SALAD

2 boxes Strawberry Jell-o
1 ¾ C. Hot Water
2 boxes Frozen Strawberries
1 small can Crushed Pineapple (undrained)
Mix jell-o according to package directions. Thaw Strawberries. Mix strawberries and pineapple into jell-o, stirring well. Put in fridge to set.
TOPPING
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 Eggs
½ C. Sugar
1 8oz. Cool Whip
In a saucepan mix lemon juice, eggs and sugar. Cook over low heat until it thickens. Cool mixture, then add Cool Whip. Top Strawberry Jell-o mixture.

7 comments:

  1. I do a recipe/food tip exchange on Fridays. Thought you might to link up with this tip or another juicy tidbit from the week:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/06/friday-feasts-fennel-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's mother made a dessert that was very similar to this one. Thanks for the memory. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! Maybe somebody named it "salad" so they wouldn't feel so guilty having a second helping. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with Kara.. call it a salad so it sounds healthy and can have more than one serving! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I can think of is when jello was popular in the 60s they use to call these salads. You are lucky to have your Mom's recipes.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce beat me to the answer. I have a Jell-o cookbook from the 60's that I used to love to read when I was "much younger". They called any Jell-o mixed with fruit or veggies a salad. Happy FF! ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to your first Foodie Friday! What a treasure you found in your Mother's book. I love Jell-0, and I will put the ingredients on my shopping list!
    XX 00

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!