Friday, November 6, 2015

FRIDAY MEMES......

Gillion over at Rose City Reader is the host for Book Beginnings, Freda over at Freda's Voice is the host for The Friday 56,  Billy B. over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addict is the host for Book Blogger Hop.  Head over their places to check out all the books everyone is sharing.  You could find your next book.

Deep Down Dark - Hector Tobar

















My Book Beginning...
In the San Jose Mine, sea level is the chief point of reference.  The five-by-five-meter tunnel of the Ramp begins a Level 720, which is 720 meters above sea level.  The Ramp descends into the mountain as a series of switchbacks, and then farther down becomes a spiral.  Dump trucks, front loaders, pickup trucks, and assorted other machines and the men who operate them drive down past Level 200, into the part of the mountain where there are still minerals to be brought to the surface, working in passageways that lead from the Ramp to the veins of ore-bearing rock.

This is my book clubs choice of book to read this month.  I haven't actually gotten started on it, but what I've read so far, it makes me want to continue.  All the information in this beginning makes me want to understand why these men do this job.  Why they would want to go into the bowls of the earth.  It would scare me to death to do this every day.

The Friday 56.....
Those first few hours begin to pass, slowly, punctuated by a fumbling stomach or two (they have just missed lunch, after all), and byt the continual thunder of rock falling somewhere in the dark spaces beyond the weak, warm light of their headlamps, many of which the men now begin to turn off, to save their batteries.

Book Blog Hop......
The question this week....

As you are reading a book, do you take notes for your reviews, write your reviews as you read, or something totally different? 

I write my reviews by memory of reading the book.  If there is something that I like or a phrase,  I will write it down and stick the paper in the book.  I also write my reviews the same day I finish the book.  That way the book is still fresh in my mind.









10 comments:

  1. I don't think my claustrophobia would allow me to read this book! I can't imagine going down in a mine.
    My Friday post features HOOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Sandra, my claustrophobia would definitely kick in early....the story sounds very intense, though.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not think I could handle reading about small spaces like that either. As for notes I think it depends on the book for me. If it is something dense like a hefty history book I will take notes. On occasion I will use the highlight feature on a Nook book to recall something I wanted to know when I go to review a book. Overall I would say I just do reviews from memory 75% of the time. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working in a mine would be so scary!

    Stormi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just reading the 56 sent a chill up my spine. Claustrophobia isn't my friend! I have Soundless by Richelle Mead this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested. I used to live near a coal mine, and it actually blew up one year. It was a huge thing here in Canada, the government got involved. The snippets pulled me back to Westray Mines and 1992.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting beginning and I've been seeing the ads for that new movie 33 Miners (based on the 2010 Copiapo Mining Incident) for over a week now so this strikes me as a very timely read! Not something I would want to do for a living either. Here's My Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  8. I take notes and write as I read.

    I hope you had a good weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  9. These snippets are really intriguing. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings), my new weekly blog meme called Music Monday, and my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you know that you can create short links with BCVC and receive money from every visit to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!